READ/WRITE REALITY (RWR) is an intensive and visionary workshop created by FakePress Publishing and Art is Open Source in collaboration with Centro Studi Etnografia Digitaleto pragmatically explore the methodological, technical and technological possibilities offered by Ubiquitous Publishing, to identify new businesses, new forms of expression, new opportunities for culture and knowledge, new tools for freedoms.
RWR is useful for:
- designers wishing to know, understand and use Ubiquitous Publishing technologies;
- communicators who want to understand and learn how to bring digital information out of the monitor, into the city, in people’s pockets, on objects and in the places we traverse in our daily lives;
- developers, who want to learn how to build engaging ubiquitous interactive experiences;
- artists, journalists, scientists and researchers wishing to add ubiquitous technologies to their toolset for expression, information, knowledge, education and research practices;
- and strategists with the desire to gain knowledge and insights to confront with the next step of digital communication.
RWR will be held on September 13-14-15+16 in Cava de’ Tirreni, at the Ostello “Borgo Scacciaventi”, a beautiful setting in a 15th century building near to the famous Amalfi coast.
The workshop will fill 3+1 days of intense activity, visionary discussions, engaging hands-on practices, on-the-field explorations and content-production, great food, wine and scenery, in contact with the rooted traditions of the beautiful South of Italy.
How does RWR work?
RWR is a hands-on and minds-on workshop.
During the workshop we will create a complete ubiquitous publishing team and we will realize a complete project, end-to-end.
An initial phase will allow us to get to know each other and what/how/why each one of us would like to obtain from the workshop: be it understanding how to practically use a technology, how to integrate a technological practice or possibility in your company, how to use it within your institution, how to design ubiquitous experiences for your users, how to enact radical communication practices ubiquitously across cities, bodies, objects and architectural spaces.
We will use this information to form groups: for strategy, for technology, for content production, for software development, for interaction design, for post-production.
Each group will join in a complete end-to-end process to create a fully working ubiquitous publishing product.
We will choose a theme, selecting from important issues, radical points of view on the world, ecology, sustainability, social innovation, local development, designing and realizing a product that is narrative, visionary, useful.
We will build our product from scratch, up to the end: we will guide and follow you through the conceptualization, design, implementation, testing, content production and release of the product.
During the process we will introduce you on the methodologies, conceptual frameworks and techniques through which you, your company, your organization or your collective can use ubiquitous technologies to enact new forms of communication and expression, new business models, new ways in which you can activate your strategies and observe their effects. Out of the monitor, in the spaces of cities, on bodies, objects, products.